Round 1: Hobbes Vs. The Metaphysicals in the 17th Century. We will endeavour to examine the fundamental theme of "love vs. power" encapsulated in these two positions with the hope that we may, through our scintillating use of literary support, rhetoric, and polemic, find out which one emerges most capable of explaining both the seventeeth century, and the world in general? Who will be victorious? LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLEEEE!

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Hey,

Ok - if we're going to take sides here's where I fall.

I am not in good conscience going to be able to align myself with the metaphysicals as such... but I don't quite feel that the Power vs. Love distinction is fairly/accurately encapsulated in contrasting Hobbes vs. Milton/Metaphysicals. The reason I say this is because if you read Hobbes as philosophy he's not really prescribing an open mandate for a will2power type of thing, he uses his arguments as a basis on which to propound a prescription of mutuallly assured and calculated restraint - that is, of social contract.
The way I see it, the lines feel like they should be drawn something more along the lines of:

Milton's Satan vs. Hobbes vs. Metaphysicals/Milton(maybe?.. i'm not wholly sold that he didnt mean to portray Satan as a hero)

...wherein Milton's Satan we can align with notions like power, selfhood, free-will, choice etc. and wherein hobbes represents something more like social contract & reason and wherein the metaphysicals represent love etc.

anyway... along those lines I'm definately going to take the power side, but in doing so I hesitate to associate myself with Hobbes. Rather, I'll say I take the power side and identify my stance with Milton's Satan...

so for what it's worth... I stand with Satan.... :0P


Terra, thanks - I'll check that link/reference out as soon as I get a chance. When I was suggesting that we shouldn't be too concernced with authorial intent I was thinking something along the lines of the postmodern postulate re: indeterminacy & alogocentricity of language/meaning etc... specifically I was thinking of Roland Barthes' Essay "The Death of the Author"... it's fascinating & excellent and included in both the Norton Anthology of Theory & Criticism, and in the Critical Theory Since Plato Anthology ... both of which are sometimes used for English 360 & 366... anyway here's a wikipedia link on it if it interests: The Death of The Author.
The critical gaze that the essay comes from is pretty well smack-opposite that of the formalist tradition, so your reference should be pretty interesting if it's saying a similar deal.

See you in class tomorrow...

All Good Things,
B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home